Just a quick update to let you know Anson and I are getting ready to travel to Germany this August. I apologize for this being a little dry, I'm at the moment getting ready to head down the FL for a week and this was more or less copied from our Google Docs itinerary. Nevertheless here are our tentative travel plans:
- Monday, August 15th Drive from Raleigh (NC) to Charleston (SC) where we will stay at the Air Force base for the night.
- Tuesday, August 16th Fly from Charleston Airforce Base to Rommstein, Germany. There we will stay at the Air Force base for the night.
- Wednesday, August 17th There is not much to see in Rommstein so we plan on taking a day trip to Koblenz & Kolin by train. There I hope to see the Kolin Cathedral and a castle in Koblenz and take lots of photos.
- Thursday, August 18th Travel by Train to Freiburg (3 hours) and then by bus to the Black Forest where we will be staying at Hotel Gasthof Straud, a cute little vacation hotel/B&B in the counrty. There we hope to immerse ourselves in the Schwarzwald culture.
- Friday, August 19th Spend the day exploring more of the countryside. There are lots of walking trails and I hope to find the perfect place for some sunset photography.
- Saturday, August 20th Travel by train to Füssen where we will stay at a lovely little place called Hotel Hanselwirt amidst the Bavarian Alps and mountain lakes. There we plan on seeing the famous Neuschwanstein Castle.
- Sunday, August 21st An entire day spent exploring and photographing.
- Monday, August 22nd Travel by train to München (2 hours) and stay at the Wombats City Hostel. I love the name of this place, I hope it is as fun as it sounds. On our wish list to see in München is Olympic Park and Marienplatz.
- Tuesday, August 23rd An entire day in München where we hope to see Schloss Nymphenburg, a large palace with gardens, and Andechs Abbey.
- Wednesday, August 24th Outside of München is the WW2 concentration camp Dachau. From there we will catch a train to Berlin (6 hours) and stay at the Amstel House Hostel. Anson has on our sightseeing list, if we have time, to see Reichstag and the Brandenburg Gate.
- Thursday, August 25th Sightseeing wish list for the day consists of the Berlin Wall, one of my main reasons for wanting to see Berlin, Gemäldegalerie, a large museum featuring a good representation of many schools of art, and Grunewald.
- Friday, August 26th Before heading back we might see the Bauhaus Archiv. And after take the train to Ramstein where we will spend the night and catch the next Air Force flight home.