The Act of Creating
We all create in some manner or form. I follow A Holy Eexperience and yesterday Ann posted some beautiful thoughts on creativity. I live and breathe creativity but creative things still can feel daunting. The only reason my work is sometimes left unfinished is because I'm too scared (yes, scared) to finish them. Perhaps they won't look like what I see in my head. I forget to let my hands go and my soul to do the work. I am speaking mostly of my painting. I have projects and ideas all stored away "until I get better" that I need to dust off and renew.
Thoughts from Ann that moved me to pick up by brushes, pull out the sewing machine:
1. Quit trying to fit. Why try to squeeze all your extraordinary into ordinary?
2. God made woman to be a maker, to open her empty places and let life be knit from within her.
3. Creativity, it’s good theology; it’s what God did in the beginning.
4. When we stop fearing failure, we start being artists.
5. Don’t let the sun set till you’ve done one thing that sort of scares you. The only trees that ever grow tall keep relentlessly stretching into unknown territory.
6. Art, it’s the second person present indicative of the verb to be. Art is a way of being and when you make your life art — thou art.
7. Bury your fear in faith. Otherwise you bury your talents.
- Interesting note about Ann Voskamp. She is the Aunt of my best friend Joy. Strange that I have never met you Ann.
And speaking of creativity I have refined the photos from my Arizona trip (Oak Creek Canyon portion) and posted them on my facebook page for you to enjoy.